Medical Spa Trends
Jeffrey Spiegel, MD, Chief of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, indicated that people are frustrated and disappointed with the expensive, minimally effective procedures touted as rapid solutions. “People are going to expect better and more predictable results. With the economy slowing somewhat, the desire to look your best will remain, but people will expect to get what they paid for and be less tolerant of only minor improvement with a big cost,” stated Spiegel. He predicts that several significant changes in plastic surgery are expected in the coming year.
• A return to more traditional procedures with a decline in shortcuts. The time invested pays off in the long run and the safety of established procedures is so high that people don’t have the same concerns they may have had in the past. “We’ve really gotten people to heal nearly as quickly from the traditional procedures as they do from the much less effective interventions that are so widely publicized.”
• New fillers last longer without the need for skin testing. Many new types of filler have been recently released to treat the fine facial lines and wrinkles for which Botox™ is not appropriate. Some of these may last a year or longer. “This is one area where you truly can expect good results with just a very short (few hours) recovery,” states Spiegel.
• Laser technologies continue to progress but the greatest innovation is a new way to deliver energy beneath the skin. Smartlipo™ is an example of a technology where laser can be used to rapidly and safely melt fat beneath the skin with only a very tiny incision. Expect further refinements in how lasers are delivered (without the need to send energy through the outer layers of the skin).
Face and Skin
- Skin Care Basics
- Anti Aging – An ounce of prevention
- Top 5 ways to avoid skin damage
- Top Five Regimens for Healthier Skin
- What is a Medical Spa?
- What facial factors show your age?
- Primary Facial Concerns
- Top 5 Nonsurgical Skin Treatments for Women
- Spavelous Preferred Facial Treatments
- Medical Spa Trends