Stones … What’s Hot!
What’s Hot? The Benefits of Hot Stone …
Many people find the warmth of the hot stones to be comforting and get it for relaxation. Since hot stones are used to massage the body, you receive the same benefits as a Swedish massage, deep tissue massage and trigger point work. The added benefit is heat that penetrates the muscle and tendon providing deeper work with less pressure or pain.
Hot stone massage is suited to people who tend to feel chilly or who have cold feet. It’s also suited for people who have muscle tension but prefer a lighter massage. The heat relaxes muscles, allowing the therapist to work the muscles without using deep pressure.
Hot stone massage is ideal for people who need the deep work of a traditional Swedish massage, but dislike the strong pressure used. Hot stone massage can have the same effect on the muscles, relaxing them and stimulating blood flow, while still having a very light touch. Skilled practitioners of hot stone massage need very little pressure to have a profound impact — be wary of unskilled practitioners who may feel the need to use traditionally hard Swedish techniques. LaStone teaches that a hot stone massage goes five times deeper than a Swedish massage and the Japanese believe that one stroke with the stones is equivalent to 10 strokes with the bare hand. In addition, hot stone massage has the following benefits:
- Promotes deep muscle and tissue relaxation
- Releases toxins from the muscles and eliminates waste more quickly
- Relieves pain and muscle spasms
- Improves circulation and lymph flow
- Calms the mind
- Deep relaxation, the warmth relaxes both physically and mentally
- The heat from the stones is transferred to the body by conduction and it may reach up to one inch into the muscle
- Stress is reduced, relieving mental and physical fatigue
- Circulation is improved and muscles have an increased blood supply, improving function and promoting self-healing.
- The warmth can relieve pain in muscles and joints
- Tension in connective tissue is decreased
- Increases flexibility
- The weight and material of the stones function to ground the body
- Reduced ticklishness for many vulnerable clients
- Added energetic quality to massage when incorporated with vibration (clicking or tapping of stones)
- Increases range of motion
- Balances the central nervous system
- Balances charkas and energy
The Benefits of Cold Stone Massage:
- Refreshes and stimulates the mind
- Helps to relieve tissue congestion (such as the sinuses)
- Soothes irritation
- Cools down the body on a warm day or during hot flushes.
What Health Conditions May be Helped with Hot Stone Massage?
Practitioners of hot stone massage claim that the technique can provide health benefits for the following conditions:
- Poor circulation
- Sore or strained muscles
- Stress and anxiety
- Multiple sclerosis
- Back pain