165 NE 96th St., Miami Shores
• The lowdown: It doesn’t get any more fabulously clean than this. Sugarbubble is owned by a registered nurse who obsessively oversees the hygiene in her spa to ensure clients don’t leave with something they never wanted.
Benitez installed special pumps to remove water from her pedicure sinks, uses hospital-grade sterilized tools and forbids her spa therapists to double-dip the wooden spatulas when applying hot wax. All this because she once got a nasty rash from a contaminated wax job. But that’s another story.
Benitez is equally committed to keeping prices low. ”This is designed for a customer like me,” she said.
• The neighborhood: In residential Miami Shores, Sugarbubble is right around the corner from Northeast Second Avenue on a bucolic block. Parking is a breeze, with metered parking directly in front and an open lot beside the spa.
• The vibe: Clean, intimate, homey. The tools are antiseptic, but the environment is not.
• The highlights: Milk & Honey Pedicure so sweet you might want to dip your finger in the brew, $40; Organic Facial with living ingredients in the goat’s milk yogurt, $90 and up; Sugarbubble Bombshell, a 90-minute luxe treatment tailored to your needs, including facials with deep extractions and microdermabrasion, foot massage, eyebrow shaping or waxing — you name it — $150.
• Special for readers of The Miami Herald: Mention this story and get a spa pedicure, $40 and up, and receive a free lip or chin waxing. Offer good through June 28.
- What Do Your Nails Say About You?
- How to Stay Safe at the Nail Spa?
- Spring 2008 Nail Polish Trends
- Choose natural nail polish
- Eco-friendly nail spas
- Time to Go Natural
- Great Natural Nail Care Products
- What a Handful …