The Baths of Caracalla Day Spa Grand Rapids MI Fire


    Dryer suspected as cause of fire at Caracalla Day Spa in Marne





    TALLMADGE TOWNSHIP — Fire investigators told owners of a spa damaged by a fire this morning that lint in a clothes dryer likely caused the blaze.

    The Bath of Caracalla European Day Spa & Styling Studio was heavily damaged in the 9 a.m. fire at 14345 Ironwood Drive in Marne. The business is owned by Doug and Amy Glass of Marne.

    Amy Glass was at the spa this morning and had been doing laundry. She started the dryer and left to go to her daughter’s home about a mile away. When she returned, the building was in flames. A passing motorist first reported the fire.

    The insured building sustained extensive water and smoke damage, although a damage estimate was not immediately available. Fire crews were shoveling insulation from the attic this morning. Five departments responded to the fire.

    The spa, which opened in November 2001, employs 13 people, including hair stylists, massage therapists and receptionists. Doug Glass said it may be the only spa in Michigan with a liquor license where patrons can enjoy a drink.

    “The worst part is all those girls who don’t have a job now,” he said.

    Business had fallen off last fall, possibly because of the economy, but recently was getting stronger.

    “Last night, the lot was full and I came home so excited things were picking up. You put your life savings into something and as they say ‘It goes up in smoke,'” he said.

    Full Article and Credits